I started playing with painting jars when I wanted to make some of my candle and salve jars prettier for gifts. It is a simple, inexpensive way to turn a plain old jar into something really special.
To start, you will need a few supplies. You will need jars, or any glass container. The neighbor kids made some neat candlesticks, and there are tons of interesting containers at the dollar store. The jars don’t need to be smooth either. I already had a bunch of canning jars that I wanted to use. They have bumps on them, and some have raised words on them. However, you don’t even see that part after you decorate the jar.
Before you get started, clean your jars (or glassware) and remove all labels. Make sure to get all greasy residue off. I had to soak off some labels and use alcohol to get rid of the sticky label residue.
The supplies that you need are:
- Glass jars
- Puffy Paint ( I used Puffy 3D and Tulip Slick)
- Tiny jewels (optional)
- Rubbing alcohol
- Cotton pad or cotton balls
- Q-tips (cotton swabs
- After you wash and dry the jars, you need to prep the jars for paint to adhere. Use a cotton pad or ball dipped in rubbing alcohol to rub all over the surface where you plan to put the paint. You want to use clean hands, and try not to touch the areas after you have cleaned them.
- Decorate the jars with whatever designs you can dream up!
- Apply small jewels as you are applying the puffy paint. It acts as glue.
4. If you make mistakes, you can use a Q-tip(cotton swab), dipped in a little rubbing alcohol, to “erase” your mistake.
5. Let the jars dry in a safe place for several hours or overnight.
That’s it! Super simple, yet beautiful. I decorated the lids too! I use them for my salves and candles. But, the kids made up a bunch with our neighbor kids, and they use them as banks, gifts, and candy storage. Wouldn’t they make a nice wedding favor or party favor? There really is no limit!
These are some that the kids made. They are old sauce jars and an olive jar that I painted the lid white.
These are some of my lotion candles and salves, all ready to give as gifts!
The only thing that limits you is your imagination. Have fun!